Re: LF: Pot cores

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Pot cores
From: "Hans-Albrecht Haffa" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:13:55 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Mike,
yes it seems to me as if "Pot cores " got its name by a kind of cooking set. i. e by its shape. There are EE cores, rod cores etc. But I dont recomend pot cores for new designs. Take a ETD-Core and align the gap with a saw from the tile plastering department of the do it yourself market. The stray filed of a ETD core with no center leg (maximum gap) is little and ETD cores are available in many sizes by many manufacturers. You will not get anymore a pot core sized 60mm in Diameter. 55, Hans-Albrecht DK 8 ND

[email protected] schrieb am 23.09.03 12:58:03:

On 22 Sep 2003 at 16:30, Hugh M0WYE wrote:

> While pondering a filter design and playing with a pot core type inductor...
> RM6 / RM10 etc.
> I wondered: "Why is it called a pot core - it doesn't look much like a pot
> ?"
> Anyone know how the pot-core got it's name ?
> Silly, I know, but one does like to know these things ...

I always understood this was short for "potted", and presumably refers to the complete encapsulation of the inductance in ferrite that occurs in most 'pot cores'. It may also be connected with the ceramic (ie pottery) mixed with iron dust to make the ferrite.

Mike, G3XDV

Bestes Testergebnis: Stiftung Warentest Doppelsieg fur WEB.DE FreeMail
und WEB.DE Club. Nur fuer unsere Nutzer! http://f.web.de/?mc=021182