LF: Re: WD2XDW Alaskan 135/137Khz beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: WD2XDW Alaskan 135/137Khz beacon
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:46:06 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Laurence , at the risk of getting it all wrong...... I would stick to the
137.77 area. This will ease watching for yourself and Joe simultaneously. My
thoughts are that this is far enough away from the centre of Euro QRSS at
137.7 to not give any problem. A CW filter skirt dropped into this region
should stop a local signal pumping the soundcard. Euro QRSS rarely moves
above 137.73. Anyway the window for some weeks to come will be way after
midnight. The best bet for two-ways then is for Euro stations to transmit
around 135.92. Assuming that is clear with you....I think from memory it is
ok with Joe. Stations like Markus have difficulty receiving down there due
to the sidebands of SXV in southern Germany. At nearly a kHz away from
DCF39, it will only be a problem to those living close to Burg (100-200kms)
I think (Please shout if I am wrong).

Personally I prefer DFCW where possible it is easier with weak signals to
find. QRSS takes a little more measuring sometimes to mask the dot length an
decide where the spaces are. It is also a lot faster, but I am not sure how
easy it is to generate on the W&G.

The aerial sounds good. With that loading coil it looks like you have about
2.2nF of aerial capacity. This should go a long way to reducing ground loss.
The highest values I have heard quoted for an amateur aerial are around
100pF. It sounds as though a little "optional" corona at moose-nose altitude
could be useful.

Good Luck with the "hot tests" on the MRF PA.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]