LF: Conumdrum - a series of weekly stump the team Q's....No. 2

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Conumdrum - a series of weekly stump the team Q's....No. 2
From: "flo flo" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:45:12 -0800
Sender: <[email protected]>

Ive measured my water well at some 199 metres in depth using a dropped object/versus time to plop calculation.

The well bore casing is some 6 inches in diameter of 5mm thickness steel. Im taking it that the well bore casing is electically contigious.

Im considering moving my 32 metres vertical section to rise vertically above the well casing and keep the array as it was except that that the aerial will start to look more like an offset T than an L. (tthis helps to keep the vertical section far away from the Rhon tower

At present - The well casing is connected back to the main eath radial system and tower some 27 metres distant using multiples of 8 gauge copper. I can extend the old radial system to "radiate" from this new spot.

Question - Will the low R vertical casing into the alluvial deposits make an efficient LF radio earth - and what if any are the likely radiation characteristics of doing so? (Im taking it that for the given diameter/area that the well casing is making reasonable good connection into the strata). The bottom of the well is in clean ground water.

Any body any records of using a well do reduce Earth resistance losses?, or as Im going down vertically will it have little affect. I know it may have little effect against the Cap top...

Will the antennae start to look like an offset lossy vertical lop sided dipole?

Am I wasting my time? Im thinking of adding this one to the Radio Amateurs' Exam Question pool.

Laurence KL1X