LF: Re 73kHz Tuesday

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re 73kHz Tuesday
From: "John W Gould" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:57:29 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Plenty of activity, with approx sig level above estimated avg noise here in
Newport Pagnell:

G3AQC    30dB
G3LDO  30dB
G3XDV  20dB
G3GRO  20dB
GM0MRF 10dB

Saw some other transmissions, but wasn't around at the right time to get
callsigns (apologies to G3YXM and MI0AYZ)

My normally high noise floor "switched off sometime after 9am, dropping the
noise floor down from a stead S9 to a more normal sound, varying around S2
with occasional crashes up to S7.  All of the signals above were audible,
That of G3AQC and G3LDO moved the S-meter to an S5.

My own transmissions were carried out from the house via a 100m length of
coax to the loading coil and aerial.  Interestingly, last month when the TX
was in the shed next to the loading coil I got an aerial current of just
under an amp.  Today, with two toroidal transformers (to first transform
from around 4 ohms to 50ohms, and then from 50 ohms to around 200ohms - a
guess at matching the aerial), the aerial current all but disappeared.  That
might explain why, despite CQs during the morning, afternoon and early
evening, I was only heard and worked by G3XDV.

Much of the above will no doubt raise knowing smiles from you "old hands",
but an interesting day for me and some thoughts as to what to do next.  I'd
really like to know the source of the noise; it's unlikely to be TVs since
it was still quiet at 8pm....

73 and nice to hear/see the good signals on the band.

73 John, G3WKL