LF: re Rugby MSF

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: re Rugby MSF
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:47:28 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Andy, according to the NPL web site BT has a contact to transmit MSF time
signals untill 2007, the following was a musing I sent to interested ex BT
staff many of whom have worked at the site. I do believe that Hillmorton
site is being considered for housing development, which would make it a
valuable asset. Actually I believe the BT MoD contact expires at then end of
2003, though Merlin took over on the 1st April, so Hillmorton will probably
be kept on standby during the swap-over to Merlin at Skelton.
----------------------------
As an interesting sideline It is believed that a 55.5kHz signal was run up
at the end of last month, and reports were requested though not widely, and
no location of the transmitter was given. This was copied to the message
board orf the Long Wave Club of America. The e-mail address for the reports
was [email protected]. (note the BT intranet address)

Putting two and two together and getting around fifteen plus or minus
seven.....I guess that BT have been running up a 60kW transmitter at another
site that will allow them to move MSF and keep up the service whilst
allowing the masts at Hillmorton to be felled. I believe that MSF is transit
from a "T" aerial between two of the masts on the northern (open) segment of
the aerial.
Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]