Re: LF: Jason Beacon signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Jason Beacon signals
From: "Alex Deligiannis" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 05:23:40 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear James,
                  The last part of your JASON transmission ended at 03.05z
received at KM39GC
73 Alex SV8QG

James Moritz wrote:

Dear LF Group,

The Jason beacon signals were transmitted as planned last night - many
thanks to YU7AR for my first report from YU. I think this is the first
report I have had from YU in any mode on LF

The QRN was also very strong here last night - it was still strong earlier
this afternoon. Looking at the lightning activity maps, there seems to be
thunderstorms in the Mediterranean just off the southern tip of Italy -
perhaps this is where the noise is coming from.

When I started transmitting last night, the temperature was about +2C, but
as time passed the temperature dropped below freezing, causing the antenna
loss resistance to drop by about 20% by 0300. It is surprising to have this
much effect, because things were only frozen on the surface, as I found out
splashing around in the mud when I took the antenna mast down afterwards!

I will run the beacon again tonight,  from 2200 - 0300utc on 137.5025kHz as
before. Any reports will be very welcome.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU