Re: LF: Jason Beacon signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Jason Beacon signals
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:57:06 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

The Jason beacon signals were transmitted as planned last night - many thanks to YU7AR for my first report from YU. I think this is the first report I have had from YU in any mode on LF
The QRN was also very strong here last night - it was still strong earlier
this afternoon. Looking at the lightning activity maps, there seems to be
thunderstorms in the Mediterranean just off the southern tip of Italy -
perhaps this is where the noise is coming from.
When I started transmitting last night, the temperature was about +2C, but
as time passed the temperature dropped below freezing, causing the antenna
loss resistance to drop by about 20% by 0300. It is surprising to have this
much effect, because things were only frozen on the surface, as I found out
splashing around in the mud when I took the antenna mast down afterwards!
I will run the beacon again tonight, from 2200 - 0300utc on 137.5025kHz as
before. Any reports will be very welcome.
Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU