LF: Flaming aerials!

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Flaming aerials!
From: "Dave Pick" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:13:42 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear all, especially Peter.

I had a bit of a problem on 73k today, the TX started tripping during my QSO with G3LDO at about 12:30. Eventually I had to reduce the power to a few hundred Watts to sign off.
I went outside, down the full length of the garden to the ATU to see if anything was wrong. All seemed well but I could hear a "crackling" noise and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I eventually looked up at the top of the tree where the aerial passed over a perspex "Y" on the top of the pole... It was alight! A couple of years worth of polution must have made it conductive enough for the RF to arc through it to the metal supporting pole (which is earthed). I watched it with trepidation lest any burning pieces should drop off and set light to the tree, luckily this didn't happen and eventually it went out.
I have since replaced the top piece with a new design, let's see how long that lasts!
This sort of thing always happens when I "fire-up" on 73k, the Voltages are just so high..
You can just see the flames on this picture.

73.
Dave
G3YXM.