LF: Re: North Carolina Ice Strom / HBG plotting on hold

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: North Carolina Ice Strom / HBG plotting on hold
From: "g6tmk" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:40:35 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Dexter, and group,
Thanks for sharing the photographs - isn't nature awesome !

While trying to find out about SAQ in Sweeden, I came across a webpage all about "Radio Central", which was on Long Island, and transmitted all round the world on LF frequencies. It said this:

    Removing Sleet from Antenna.--One of the most interesting features of the station is the method by which sleet, that might form on the 25 miles of aerial wire in each aerial, is removed. With an antenna of such magnitude, the question of sleet on the wires is serious. This is taken care of by passing a current of 250 amperes at 1,500 volts through the antenna wires. Sufficient heat is generated to melt even the most severe ice formations on the wires in ten minutes. Small high-capacity condensers are connected in series with the antenna and tuning coils, to prevent the heat producing current from becoming grounded. The condensers have sufficient resistance to the 60 cycle current used for the above purpose, but readily allow the high-frequency current of the transmitter to pass through.

It doesn't say what they did if the mains electricity failed !

The URL is http://www.angelfire.com/nc/whitetho/1922RCA.htm It has photographs of the antenna system and the Alexanderson Alternators.
There is a considerable amount of interesting information about the history of radio on this site.

73
Hugh