LF: Loops

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Loops
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:10:09 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Well discussion about loops certainly leads to strong views on this reflector! Bill is correct in saying that the satisfaction in using them is that many say they don't work!

Those with big plots and good ground (eg a certain station in the Scarborough area) may well get better results from verticals. Those of us not so lucky and without the incentive to move to Scarborough do not find it so and loops certainly should not be dismissed as a useless antenna. A loop has certainly allowed me to have much fun on the band, and while never a big signal I did at least have reasonable results and some great QSOs - which is really what amateur radio is about.

As my website shows, a loop at this QTH (still up after three years and never had to be retuned) has Bill's 6dB advantage over the best vertical I could put up. Each QTH has its own characteristics on LF and it is up to us as experimenters to work out the best antenna for one's own circumstances. In this context dismissing loops as out of the question is not in the spirit of amateur radio.

I hope to be back on the band in due course once the novelty of 5MHz has worn off - and hopefully current efforts will get more normal CW activity on the band.

73s Dave G3YMC

[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk