LF: Re: Non-linear signal processing

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Non-linear signal processing
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:35:20 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Alex, LF Group,

At 13:26 15/10/2002 +0000, you wrote:
So it is very simple to realize! The only addition is input convertion
of the incoming signal

S1(t) = S(t)/[A + S(t)*S(t)]

where S(t) if signal from RX. Parameter A shold be controlled to get
best reciption. Than signal S1(t) is processed by conventional procedure
(say FFT).

It is very interesting to try such an algorithm.

73 de RA9MB/Alex
http://www.qsl.net/ra9mb

As was seen some time ago with the experimental "Hendrixizer" clipping feature added to Jason, non-linear processing of the signal can certainly be an improvement under some conditions. The conditions seem to be that the noise within the receiver passband is wide band in nature; if strong narrow-band signals are also present, intermodulation and/or blocking effects occur. Due to the non-linear term in Alex's function above, I expect the same would apply. But if there is nothing but weak signals and noise within the RX passband, simply clipping the signal gives a significant improvement. The effects of clipping were found by accident, so I would not be surprised if Alex's more scientific approach also gave benefits - it is certainly true that most of the noise on LF is nothing like white noise.

Looking at the function Alex suggests, and assuming S(t)*S(t)] means S(t)^2, when S(t) is small, S1(t) is approximately S(t)/A, ie. linearly proportional. When S(t) is very large, S1(t) is approximately 1/S(t), ie. ~=0. The gradient "turns over" when S(t)^2 = A. So the function is like a software noise blanker, removing the high amplitude parts of the input signal, with the value of A setting the threshold. One can intuitively see how this could work with LF noise consisting mainly of spikes of QRN

Well, now all I have to do is sit back and relax while the spectrogram software guys get it working... :-)

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU