LF: Mike's insulators ??

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Mike's insulators ??
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:26:52 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Mike, and all, could it be that the insulators are good.....I cannot
really see Decca (or Racal ) using rubbish in the PAs...... Might it be that
Perspex will burn if there is an ignition source. In this case the ignition
source is the 'sharp' end of the wire, which is subject to corona discharge
(mini plamsa torch) when excited. Would this be solved by soldering a corona
ring at the high voltage end of any wires?? A brass "curtain ring (gosh I am
showing my age again !!) or simply a circular loop of thick copper wire
would probably do the trick. I think Jim found he needed to use these and
certainly Ralph who is running the 166.5kHz  beacon in W-land has set fire
to several lengths of white waste pipe before fitting rings.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]