Re: LF: Re: Mike's insulators ??

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Mike's insulators ??
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:26:08 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Mike, LF group,

At 07:52 31/10/2002 +0000, you wrote:
I don't think it was corona. Corona tends to be quite small and erode
slowly. What I saw was a yellow arc some 8cm long, running the length of
both insulators. This is not the normal property of a good insulator.

I had this kind of problem quite a bit when I first started using kw power levels - what happens is corona appears near sharp ends and corners of conductors first, and chars the surface of the insulator. The carbon that forms on the surface of the insulator is conductive and acts a a new site for corona to form and so tracks slowly along the surface. If you catch it in time, you can often see intricate branched patterns of burnt tracks on the surface of the plastic. If you watch it closely, you can see each track slowly extending with little whitish arcs dancing around at the ends of the tracks. But of course, this usually sets fire to the plastic at some point. Of course, glass or ceramic insulators won't burn, but will get eroded or cracked in time.

For some reason, it seems to happen more when the surface is wet. I have seen it occur on pieces of damp wood that were near but not actually in contact with the antenna wire. As Alan said, fitting corona rings to the ends and corners in the antenna wire solved the problem. These are just stiff wire hoops about 100mm in diameter, which reduce the field gradient around the pointy ends, and suppress the formation of corona. I found a good corona warning was given by a VHF broadcast radio left on while operating on LF - if corona appears, lots of loud crackles and pops are heard.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU