Re: LF: PSpice question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PSpice question
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:18:41 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Ashlock,William wrote:

There are two great workbooks on Psice simulations by Roy W. Goody. The
Title for both is 'MicroSim Pspice for Windows', copyright date 1998. Volume
II is the one that covers oscillators. Check this tile on the various Web
sites for used books and you might find a real bargain.

James Moritz wrote:

Try connecting a pulsed voltage source (VPULSE) in series with the tank circuit - set it to generate a pulse width of, say, 1/2 a cycle of the expected oscillator frequency, starting at t=0.
[...]

Bill and Jim,
  many thanks for your answers, for the tips and the pointer to the book.
This evening I will try the example oscillator that Bill has sent in a separate message and the insertion of a VPULSE as suggested by Jim. Yes, I have noticed that the value for the "Maximum step" in the simulation usually
needs to be shortened from what PSpice suggests you.
PSpice seems to be a powerful tool, albeit with some quirks, i.e. it does not recognize (my version at least) the capital letter M as a prefix for Mega... I had inserted a resistor of 1M, only to have a few femtovolt across it. When I changed it to 1e6, everything was ok. Probably it interpreted the 1M as one milliohm... may be they need a refresh
on the MKS system...

73  Alberto  I2PHD