Re: LF: PSpice question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PSpice question
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:09:48 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Alberto, LF Group,

At 13:18 17/09/2002 +0200, you wrote:
PSpice seems to be a powerful tool, albeit with some quirks, i.e. it does not recognize (my version at least) the capital letter M as a prefix for Mega... I had inserted a resistor of 1M, only to have a few femtovolt across it. When I changed it to 1e6, everything was ok. Probably it interpreted the 1M as one milliohm... may be they need a refresh
on the MKS system...
Although the graphical schematic editor recognises upper and lower case, the actual Spice simulator is not case sensitive, so both m and M are recognised as "milli". You can use "meg" for mega, eg. 2.2meg, or the exponential notation 2.2e6. Also, it does not understand notation like 4k7, which it will interpret as 4k - you have to put 4.7k

I hesitate to try and make explanations about software to Alberto, but as I understand it PSpice and similar simulators are essentially just graphical front- and back ends for modified versions of the University of Berkeley's Spice simulator programs, which has a long history going back to punched card data input to computers - so it certainly has a few quirks!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU