LF: Re: Jason Tests / Reasons for different soundcard sensitivity

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Jason Tests / Reasons for different soundcard sensitivity
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:56:49 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

I received G4JNT's test signals again last night, and investigated the sound-card effects a bit further.

I found the difference between the two sound cards was this - one sound card was fed from the RX audio line output; the QRN crashes were driving the sound card ADC into saturation at the peaks of the noise. The second was connected via the headphone socket - the AF gain adjustment was such that the audio output reached clipping before the sound card was overloaded. The second sound card gave significantly improved results. So I played with the gain settings, increasing the RF gain and reducing the audio gain so that both sound cards were receiving heavily clipped audio at a level which did not overload the sound card ADC in either computer. This gave much improved, and equally good results with both sound cards - The audio coming from the speaker sounded terrible, but the improvement on the waterfall/Jason displays was remarkable - see the waterfall from SpecLab in the attachment, where the clipped audio is on the left, and "normal" audio is on the right of the display. I also found there was some improvement in going from 300Hz to 1kHz IF BW. The curious thing is that if clipping occurs before the signal reaches the sound card, the results are better than if clipping occurs in the sound card - I would expect the effect of clipping would be similar wherever it occurred between the IF filter and software FFT algorithm, but apparently not so.

There were thunderstorms nearly overhead while I was receiving the test signals, but with the gain adjusted for clipped audio as above, the Jason waterfall was remarkably free of QRN and I was getting perfect copy, even though there were bright lightning flashes lighting up the room. So I rotated the loop again to get a marginal signal to compare the effectiveness of the normal and KK7KA decoders. To get a consistent comparison, I recorded some .wav files of different signal levels, and then ran the same file through the different Jason decoders - the results shown in the attachment are from around 2230utc I think, which was the end of Andy's transmission (or at least when the signal disappeared from my screen). The upper decode is produced by the "native" decoder, and is completely garbled, whilst the lower decode is using the KK7KA decoder, and contains only a few errors (the last several characters are after the signal disappeared). The KK7KA decoder seems to give consistently better decoding with a marginal signal level.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

JPEG image