LF: Re: Luxemburg effect?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Luxemburg effect?
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 21:22:45 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2002 10:12 AM
Subject: LF: Luxemburg effect?

To All from PA0SE

Already several days I suffer from terrible broadcast QRM on the LF-band. It sounds like Luxemburg effect centered on DC39.
It is so bad that this morning I could hardly read M0BMU on 137.4kHz where I tried to measure his field strength and reporting back with my 1944 Hellschreiber. Jim always has a strong signal, about S8, and the test failed completely due to the BC-QRM.
I experience it on both the Teletron LWF45 LF receiver and the W & G SPM-12 selective level meter I used for the measurement.
The LWF45 has excellent front-end selectivity (5 tuned circuits tracking the local oscillator) so it can't be cross- or intermodulation  by a strong BC-signal.

The only other cause I can think of is some "rusty bolt" effect that has recently developed.

Do others have the same problem?
No problems here Dick, the band sounds normal,  plenty of static, some storms around somewhere, but not local.
Using the spm-12
73 de Mal/G3KEV

73, Dick, PA0SE