LF: Re: LF Roundtable

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: LF Roundtable
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:50:50 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
James Moritz wrote:

Re - computer required for Spectran, I found my old P133/16Mb had problems
trying to run Spectran, but various machines around 300MHz seemed to be
perfectly OK. The display on the slower computer had a peculiar "blinking"
effect, and attempting to save the waterfall to files produced some rather
odd-looking results.

While the PC speed may affect the smoothness of the waterfall, I am rather
dubious that it can impact the quality of the captured images.
I would tend to point the finger on the video card used, or on the resolution
settings. Spectran works best at 24 bits-per-pixel (16,777,216 colours or 'True
Color'
in Windows parlance) or at 16 bpp (that's 262,144 colours, or 'High Color').
Working at 8 bpp is 'tolerated', but the results are less than spectacular...

73  Alberto  I2PHD