RE: LF: DJ

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: DJ
From: "Andy talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:04:15 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Thought it felt a bit dubious, but I hadn't got the core loss information available so couldn't justify the feeling. Anyway, isn't 2 mix - the red coloured one - the wrong material for this frequency ? I thought that was meant for the 2 - 20 MHz region.

The tank coil on my 700W PA, wound with 110 turns of 2.5mm Litz in three layers on a 60mm diameter former just runs warm to touch, so I would guestimate it is dissipating about 10 - 15 Watts and consequently contributing about 0.1dB loss. Possibly about the same loss again in the aluminium case, with three of the surfaces less than a coil's diameter from the tank. The detuning effect of the case proximity caused about 5% reduction in inductance.

Before I realised the error of my ways, the first test build of this transmitter had the steel top of the case quite close to the tank coil. This got extremally hot ! Magnetic materials can have very high losses at RF. After several hours of test transmitting the steel was too hot to touch, with all the rest of the PA just comfortably warm. Completely cured by fixing a pure aluminium plate under the steel.

A ETD-44 core of 3C85 material forming the output transformer with B max at 0.1T runs at around 50 deg so it looks as if this has the higher loss. Just never got round to making this transformer with a bigger core.

Andy G4JNT