RE: LF: DJ

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: DJ
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:55:50 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Andy, LF Group,

At 14:04 11/06/2002 +0100, you wrote:
...Anyway, isn't 2 mix - the red coloured one - the wrong material for this frequency ? I thought that was
meant for the 2 - 20 MHz region.
It is the power materials catalogue that I have here; -2 mix is the lowest permeability material listed, and is recommended for resonant inductor applications. The curves give core loss data from 50kHz to 2.5MHz. All the higher permeability materials have higher loss at a given flux and frequency - some are better than others. Using a lower permeability means more turns for a given inductance, which in turn means lower flux for a given applied voltage and therefore still lower core loss. The limiting factor is when the winding copper losses dominate the core losses - I suppose if you want 100s of uH or mH the higher permeability stuff wins out.

Micrometals say that inductors where the core losses exceed the copper loss are a bad idea because the heating of the core is a vicious circle where the losses increase as the temperature rises - It doesn't say if actual thermal runaway is possible, although it does say that prolonged operation at high temperature causes irreversible increase in loss as well.

The Philips data for 3C85 says at 100kHz and 100mT, loss is about 100mW/cm^3, and effective volume is 17.8cm^3 for an ETD 44 core, so your transformer core loss should be about 1.8W, plus winding losses.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU