LF: short vertical dipole

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: short vertical dipole
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:41:14 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello group,

Has anyone ever tried a short vertical dipole on LF (either built and tested one or simulated one) ?

The free space radiation resistance of a short vertical dipole would be only half of that of a vertical monopole of the same size (Ra = 197*H^2/L^2, where H = dipole height and L = wavelength), so that would be a 3dB drawback. But close to (a perfect) ground the radiation resistance should increase (double) again, and win the 3dB back. The main disadvantage would probably the relative low antenna capacitance, one would need a large loading coil (= large loss). But on the other hand a dipole could be less dependent on ground/environement conditions (not as much as a loop but better than a vertical monopole).

I have been searching for articles on vertical dipoles on LF, but no result. So probably it isn't a good LF antenna, but I'd still like to know what it is worth.

73, Rik  ON7YD