LF: Siemens

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Siemens
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 18:52:58 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
In spite of what some say this device is very stable, but I use it inside in a fairly constant temperature, not outside in a garden shed.
AGC is not necessary. On LF it is more desireable not to use agc, otherwise static takes over to the detriment of weak signals.
Tuned to various signals during the weekend, all signals stayed within the 20 hz bw. It works well.
All signals were monitored on speclab and argo.
Someone said they preferred a 300 hz bw. How  can anyone work with this sort of bw on LF !!!!!
and hear the very weak signals. I now know why I hear dx stations calling some UK station, that do not reply !!!!! They obviously do not have the optimum signal over noise with a 300 hz bw.
I listened and watched the recent Russian signals on both the Siemens and W&G and had no problem with stability. I saw no wobble of variation at all.
Another point. Dont switch your pegelmesser on and off each time you use it. Leave it on all the time to stablize the oscillators, mine stay on for weeks at a time. On commercial radio stations all equipment is left on 24 hrs each day and every day of the year.
The W&G spm-12 is synthesized.
73 de Mal/G3KEV