Re: LF: loop inductance

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: loop inductance
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:08:54 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group,

In Rik's formulae, if you make W in m equal d in mm, the formulae reduce to L=1.1W, give or take a few percent,depending on shape - close to RA9MB's formula L=W for a single turn. I have not tried a big TX loop, but the 2m side square loops made of 15mm diameter tube I have been using lately have L=7.9uH, very close to Rik's square loop formula and Yuri's simple formula; a 1m square loop of the same tube had L about 4uH. Making the wire thinner increases L, but is not very critical because of the Log component. A 1m square loop of about 1mm wire had L of about 6.4uH, which agrees with Rik's formula which predicts 6.1uH.

Alex's formula L=WN^2 makes the inductance proportional to N^2 for a multi-turn loop; in practice the inductance will always be somewhat less because there is not unity coupling factor between the turns. A 10 turn, 1m^2 loop made using 1mm PVC insulated wire in a bundle had an L of about 340uH rather than 400uH The error will depend on the spacing of the turns and how they are bundled together and so on. All the same, it seems like a good way of making a rough estimate - in practice, there will be many factors that have a slight effect on the actual value of L, so a rough estimate is probably all that is required.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU