LF: Re: RE: Re: loops

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: RE: Re: loops
From: "Dave Pick" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:14:13 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Bill.

This sounds interesting. Are you able to model the "gain" of the loop
against a 350ft inverted L fed against a 350ft counterpoise? Same amount of
wire but not joined up...
I just remember the great fashion of using loops on 160 years ago, these
were in small gardens and were about 60ft long and 25 - 30ft high, small but
still better in terms of wavelength than what you're proposing. These never
seemed to work any better than the equivalent inverted L.
Time for some experiments... over to you Mal!

Understood about the Voltage (note the capital... oh dear let's not start
that again..) on the loop, agreed but you don't have a capacitor at the top
of a vertical. Sounds like you need one that'll stand 5kV and 25A, and be
weatherproof and adjustable.

73
Dave
G3YXM.

For the typical high Q LF loop with 50ft x 50ft dimensions, the max
voltage
is about 7 times lower than the voltage at the top of a typical 50ft
monopole. With a loop conductor of #8 ga, or RG-8, the current at 1w is
approx 1.2A. At a 400w the current goes up by 20x to 24A, which is no
problem for these conductors.

What really looks interesting for a loop installation, according to the
math, is the effective power gain that can be achieved by stretching the
horizontal dimension. On my property I can make this 350ft (if it were
legal) because of this strange narrow "L" shape out back in the woods.
The
effective power, then, increases 50x! Tried this for an hour at very low
power (don't tell the FCC), and it works!

My first TX loop article just appeared in the US Longwave Club's 'Lowdown'
publication. The second is to follow next month.

Bill Ashlock

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for
the presence of known computer viruses by the MessageLabs Virus
Control Centre. However, it is still recommended that you use
local virus scanning software to monitor for the presence of viruses.