RE: LF: Re: Vectorscope display

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Re: Vectorscope display
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:51:51 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Claudio wrote:
Now in my receiver I use 4 tuned
circuits, with strong high frequency attenuation (46 dB at 200 kHz and 80 dB
from 500 kHz to up). This configuration attenuate MW broadcasting signals. This
front-end also attenuate the image frequency.
That is a nice feature of only having to cover a narrow range of frequencies - I use a similar approach on transmit to generate the Jason signal - I mix 4.5kHz output from the sound card with 133 kHz to get 137.5kHz - the correct sideband is selected by a 4 pole bandpass filter which covers the full 136kHz band - unwanted mixing products are down by 65dB or greater, without requiring the added complexity of phase shift networks and I/Q mixers. It does depend on having higher "audio" frequencies than usual.

Johan wrote:
I have a little problem. My CW BFO is not locked to the 5MHz reference as all
the other oscillators in the RX are so it is quite useless for narrowband work.
I have two options, either to use SSB filter and find some way to remove the
harmonic response from the vectorscope mixer (becomes a problem at
about 1000 Hz vectorscope LO and below) or to use CW mode with SSB BFO
which is not fun at all because of double sided reception (+3dB more noise at
best). Should I build a preselector BPF for the vectorscope or should I build
a 199 or 201 kHz phase locked BFO for use with the narrow CW filter?
Any ideas?

A simple 1kHz bandpass filter on the input of the vectorscope circuit to prevent harmonics of the LO frequency getting in would be a quick answer - but I would think using a modification of your DDS source to generate the BFO signal and then have the I/Q mixers operating directly at the 200kHz IF frequency would be the best idea, because it would remove restrictions on the use of the filters. With a 32 bit phase accumulator and 5MHz clock, you could generate about 800kHz, then use the ring counter circuit to get quadrature outputs at 200kHz - this would give you sub-millihertz BFO resolution, which should be enough for most things, together with the stability of the 5MHz reference. It would also make a very nice tuneable BFO for the RX, and there are probably other things you can do with the I/Q outputs... There is no particular upper frequency limit on the mixer circuit - as shown it should be OK to a couple of hundred kHz, although you might want to use faster op-amps for the phase splitter, or a push-pull transformer. Using the 74HC4053 instead of the 4053 should extend it to several MHz. Or use a couple of SBL-1 mixers up to VHF - so long as the output is DC coupled the result will be the same.

The circuit as shown is only an initial experiment - it could be improved a lot for low noise, high speed etc. The selectivity of the system is defined by the single RC low-pass sections, which could usefully be replaced by higher order active or passive low-pass filters. The cut off frequency obviously needs to be high enough to pass the sidebands of whatever type of modulated signal it is being used with.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU