LF: G3YXM's Jason test sigs

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: G3YXM's Jason test sigs
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:33:57 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Was able to copy G3YXM's test signal last night - somewhat surprisingly using a 300MHz IBM laptop. Copy was perfect, with random letters appearing only when Dave was not transmitting - see attachment. Dave's signal was S9+ even at the reduced power level, and I found I had to reduce both the RX gain and the sound card input level control until the signal did not move the sig level bar graph to get good copy - even so, the waterfall display showed a very wide, overloaded looking trace - but it worked fine just the same, so a good start.

Reading Alberto's e-mail and looking at the spectrogram of the Jason signal last night, I had not correctly understood the Jason encoding scheme when I wrote before. Now I think I have it right - Each character is encoded as two 4-bit nibbles, each of which is transmitted as one of 16 difference frequencies between 2 successive tones. If the current tone is below the centre frequency of the signal, the frequency differential is added to the current tone frequency to get the next tone frequency. If the current tone is above the centre frequency, the frequency differential is subtracted from the current tone frequency. So the tone frequency will oscillate in an irregular way around the centre frequency with the magnitude of each frequency shift representing one 4-bit nibble. If the centre frequency is F, and the spacing between tones is f, the possible tone frequencies are F +/- (n-0.5)*f where n is an integer from 1...16. Therefore there are 32 possible equally-spaced tone frequencies from F-15.5f to F+15.5f. Is this correct?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

JPEG image