LF: USART in the 16F628

To: "Johan Bodin" <[email protected]>, "Mitch Powell" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: LF: USART in the 16F628
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:09:52 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Greetings:

I have for some days been struggling with achieving consistent and accurate serial port operation, especially when the Interrupts are being hit at a high rate. The APNOTE from MICROCHIP does not work most of the time and never worked properly. However a fine piece of work by Tom McGahee, PICUART.ASM for the 16C74A should be adaptable to the 16F628.

It was adaptable and works like a charm. I have now tried this with the following Oscillator configurations. For the 16F628, the Internal 4 MHz, an external 4 MHz crystal, a 1.8432 MHz crystal and with a high speed 16F628 it ran just fine with a 21.7 MHz crystal.

I will send any and all who ask a copy of this ASM file, which I happen to call PIC8_4B.ASM, configured to run on a 4 MHz crystal or 4 MHz internal oscillator by just compiling it with MPASM.

I will decline to express my thoughts about Microchip documentation and product support. It is suffice to say that my first copy of CPM-80, the one with both handwritten and typewritten documentation from Gary Kendall about 1976/7 was of higher quality and vastly more accurate than what I have received from Microchip for the 16F628.

Larry Kayser
VA3LK