Re: LF: Austron 2000 Loran-C RX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Austron 2000 Loran-C RX
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 12:24:02 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 11:30 02/12/01 Sunday +0100, you wrote:
Hi All

Yesterday, I bought an Austron model 2000C Loran-C receiver
for about $10 on an electronic junk auction. I also got an Austron
model 2082 Loran-C TRF receiver. The 2082 seems to be some
kind of preselector with adjustable peak and notch filters.

Does anyone know where I can find information on how to operate
the 2000C?

73
Johan SM6LKM

They used to cost about $10,000! It's a 1970's design but not a navigation receiver - it's a time transfer receiver designed to get time from Loran-C and output it on a data line. Regrettably not much use now because it was set up for the old Loran repetition rates and they've all changed. It was a hardware set-up as far as I can remember so no chance of re-programming. I expect that's why it was junked.

Quite a few observatories used them - if you really want data you might try Uppsala Univ who were users in the 70's - or the Navy, for information. Austron themselves, a U.S. company, no longer exist. Their main business was making very nice highly accurate reference oscillators - I have several of their 5 MHz double proportional oven units. There may be one of them inside the unit - if so it'll be a grey metal sealed box, probably type 1120, and very nice as a frequency reference. I can send you full details if there is.

The 2082 was as you say a front-end set of reject notch filters to get rid of Decca and other LF interference.

Can't think of much use for them now. Even if you dug out the 100 kHz front-end you would probably have to change all the pot-cores to get it on 136 to use as a pre-amplifier. As a pure Loran receiver it's useless.

Sorry about that!

Walter G3JKV.