LF: Re: long haul QSO's

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: long haul QSO's
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:05:04 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi group,

How about using a simple AD9832 DDS programmed directly via serial interface from the PC, and -if necessary- a PIC to convert standard RS232 frames into the DDS's format ?

Johan (SM6LKM) has a nice and simple DDS board which looks perfect for this job, and -much to my surprise- the AD9832 is easily available in this country, about 10 Euro's per chip. Unfortunately, the AD9832 is only available in SMD TSSOP(!) case which is not very "veroboard-friendly".
A first attempt to make a home-etched PCB failed because the copper strips are too thin (and my printer too bad). Making a few cuts into the copper with a knife may be a better solution, I will try this in the short xmas vacation.

A PC program (in Basic, Pascal, "C", under DOS, Windoze or whatever) could be easily made because re-programming the DDS would not be time-critical as I see it (or are we talking about a very "coherent" mode ?)

Looking forward to meet you on air soon.

GL, and merry Christmas

 Wolf  DL4YHF.