LF: DISTANCE 136 KHZ

To: "rsgb rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: DISTANCE 136 KHZ
From: "gii3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:51:18 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello
Its a pity we cannot get more acty going from Southern and Eastern EU. I
have been heard in Malta and and other locations in Southern Spain and
Eastern EU but no one seems to be getting enthusastic about transmitting
for a two way qso. I also know others have been heard in these places.
Maybe the band will never become popular because of the very low band
occupancy and having gone to a lot of trouble there is not the quantity
of activity to justify the effort. This is the feed back that I am
getting when I speak to others around EU and beyond.
I think they could be right. I had the antenna towers already installed
and although there was effort involved to modify the system for LF it
probably was not worth the effort.
This weekend due to the contest all HF bands were completely congested,
cw is certainly not on the way out, one could hardly find a slot all the
way from 160 - 10 metres, 10 metres was swamped with acty world wide, so
for a very modest antenna 8 ft vertical, the qso yield was enormous.
Compare this to 136 khz where I managed to have 3 qso all weekend,
OK1DTN, ON7ZO and G6RO.
Room for thought!!
de G3KEV