LF: 135.923 antenna tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 135.923 antenna tests
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:29:22 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Thanks to Brian and Alan for the reports on my test signals on Saturday night. I was trying out my new field strength measurement system as a prelude to doing some more antenna tests this winter. I am now using a W&G SPM-3 level meter, with a tuned ferrite rod and preamp, which I have re-built to mount on my car. I can now rotate the antenna and take readings from the driver's seat (not while in motion though!), which makes field strength measurement much quicker and easier - I was able to get 30 readings in a couple of hours at distances between 1 and 8 km. I used a GPS receiver for position measurement. Transmitter power was around 150W, giving 2A into my inverted L which has about 8m effective height. The calculated ERP is 150mW . The field strength measurements gave an average ERP of 66mW, which is in line with previous measurements.

The cherry picker I was using last winter to support my antenna has now returned after it's summer migration, so I intend to do some comparative tests with antennas of different heights, and also on 73kHz, over the next few months.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU