Re: LF: SAQ

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: SAQ
From: "John Sexton" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 12:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Dave,
Yes you are right, I was using a program to decode the CW, although I can now
manage to read by ear up to about 20 wpm on a good day. Regular listening on LF
has improved my CW enormously after a 10 year gap, but I still have lapses
caused by mind wandering, hi. On occasions I seem to get totally out of sync.
and have to wait until I hear something familiar. Someone on this reflector
said one time that you have to treat it as a foreign language. I would agree
with that, to get to any speed you have to recognise complete words. Which is
why I think one tends to get thrown with unusual groups of punctuation
characters.

What threw me at first, were the .. .. (II) for repetition. I have not seen
this before. Is it a popular signal for a repeat? Also of course the @ in the
email address was an informed guess on my part.

I have been experimenting for some time with software decoders. CW is
particularly difficult to decode successfully in the presence of noise, for
several reasons, the variable word length, the variable speed, lack of
synchronising at either the bit or character level, etc. Most of the decoders I
have tried are very poor. These include: Hamcom, CWmaestro, PRO-CW, Robocopy,
and many more. I came to the conclusion that for any degree of success, it is
essential to use FFT software.

For sending I use a software keyer that I wrote (my hand keying is absolutely
dreadful), which allows rates from 0.01 to 100 wpm.

Currently I am planning to extend the keyer to send other codes that might be
easier than CW to decode by software. A fixed length code at a selection of
fixed rates with a distictive start bit should make it much easier to get into
phase and stay in phase. 6-bits would be sufficient for 26 letters (case is not
necessary - I am not planning a word processor), 10 digits and a variety of
punctuation and procedure signs. 5 bits as in RTTY requires shift characters to
get enough codes, but shifted codes are just another thing to get wrong, when
decoding. No stop bit is necessary. Perhaps use bit stuffing for both ones and
zeros with a bit of opposite polarity after 3 the same to avoid long chains,
with flag characters 011110 instead of a start bit at a frequency that can be
adjusted to suit conditions, ie. synchronous transmission of shortish blocks to
avoid wasteful spaces. Manchester coding is too expensive, twice the frequency.
Either on/off keying or two frequencies as in DF
CW. Low transmission rates suitable to the band and conditions. Readable by
ear/eye as well as by program. Code redundancy and FEC are possible additions.

So if you hear something unusual on the band, it just might be me.

73, John, G4CNN