Re: LF: Claim of ZL to VE7 amateur LF DX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Claim of ZL to VE7 amateur LF DX
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:20:45 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
CLAIM OF ZL TO VE AMATEUR LF DX
On Saturday 30 June ZL1WB, ZL6QH, ZL3VN, ZL3FJ, ZL3PN, ZL3JE, ZL4OL and
AX2TAR (VK7ZAL) transmitted test signals in the 160 - 190 kHz band, for
so-called trans-Pacific tests.  Various DX listeners had prior knowledge of the
schedule of individual test frequency and coding used by each station.
Steve VE7SL, located on Mayne Island, some 40 km northwest of Victoria,
British Columbia, managed to capture some interesting signals using an Icom
IC-R75 receiver along with a PC with sound card, running Argo software.
From an
analysis of the screen capture, it is claimed that VE7SL received and positively
identified signals from ZL6QH (operators were Andrew ZL2BBJ and Bob
ZL2CA). Congratulations to all concerned in this interesting test. I wonder why it was not previously publicised via this group. Although European broadcasters would have made listening impossible, it was surely of great interest.

What was ZL6QH's ERP, RF power and antenna size. Also what "coding" was used? Was there a callsign, was it QRSS, what bit rate?

I would appreciate the Word file etc, so that I can give the event publicity through the RSGB's news outlets.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net