Re: LF: Re: more Wolf tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: more Wolf tests
From: "mike.dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:45:40 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
G4DEX wrote:
  I will share one experience I have had with WOLF.  For several years I
tried to copy the 1 watt 180 KHz Lowfer beacon TEXAS which is over 1000
miles from my QTH.  I was finally able to copy this beacon in QRSS mode
with Argo as long as the QRN level was low.  When the thunderstorms
season started I could no longer copy TEXAS.  Then Bill started
transmitting WOLF.  The first night I tried I got excellent copy but the
QRN was low so I wasn't surprised.  Each night for a week I made a
recording.  As thunderstorms built up during the week the QRN really got
bad.  On about the third night the Argo screen was wiped out with noise
as I could not even see strong loran lines.  WOLF still came through
with good copy.  On the last evening I recorded TEXAS the thunderstorms
were so close I should have shut down the station.  Even then I was able
to get a few lines of copy with WOLF.  Under these conditions is where I
have found WOLF to copy where QRSS could not.

That's very interesting, and points to a way to extend the DX season,
especially in more equatorial regions.

Mike, G3XDV