Re: LF: Field effect versus bipolar transistors

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Field effect versus bipolar transistors
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:18:33
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Dick,

The power FET's that are used in LF-Pa's are less vulnerable than most
bipolar power transistors. These FET's are designed for switched power
supplies and can withstand quite a lot of mistreatment if some basic rules
are observed.
I am still using the same FET's for the past 3 years in a class D PA
(fingers crossed). I believe that most problems with these FET's occur on
linear PA's, as you try to make a linear amp with devices that are
optimized for switching.
Main advantages of these power FET's are :
- fast switching (= high efficiency in class D or E)
- low 'on voltage' (= low heating of the device)
- far less sensitive to 'thermal breakdown' (compared to bipolar)
- withstand rather high voltages (400V or more for most devices)
- (almost) powerless drive
- cheap

73, Rik  ON7YD