Re: LF: RE: Icom IC-746 on LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Icom IC-746 on LF
From: "Hans-Joachim Brandt" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:38:36 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear all,

concerning the beginning of LF amateur operation in Germany I must confess that a very detailed description of the equipment used has never been published but I think that the contribution below by ON7YD should be corrected:

Just before the Ham Radio Fair at the end of June 1997 at Friedrichshafen our administration had isssued two provisional licences for DA0LF (Peter Bobek, DJ8WL) and DA0VLF (Dr. Hartmut Buettig, DL1VDL, DARC HF manager) for a transmitter power of 100 watts (now we still have 20 watts nominal only). Time for preparations were very short, nobody could even think of a 100 watts PA. For DA0LF Peter Bobek employed his Hagenuk receiver and exciter with an output of 200 mW to a random wire. For DA0VLF "Hardy" Buettig had prepared a 20 watts PA and a loop aerial, but could not contribute anything for receive and for driving his PA. Therefore he was very glad that I could supply him with a passive LF converter to 14 MHz (then used with a TS-50 behind, showing 14.136.6 on the dial) and a crystal mixer exciter which produced just 3 watts output when combinded with Hardy's PA. Coupling between the random wire and the LF loop even within the same exhibition hall was rather poor, but a few meters of wire connected to the loop did not detune it but improved reception on both sides considerably. RST had been about 579. At the stand of the DARC HF referate a lot of visitors took the chance to have a first qso on LF and to receive a special QSL card.

I myself could not travel to Friedrichshaven that year, because my third son had decided to marry just on Friday of that weekend! In another cq-DL article (5/1998) Peter Bobek reported that to increase his LF power to 50 watts for his long-range qrss tests he had used a push-pull power amplifier with two MRF454 employing "completely inadequate cores for LF". This may have been the PA needing more cooling for the output transformer than for the transistors.
73 Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB

Rik Strobbe schrieb:
Hello group,

Most HF-rigs have a "push-pull" PA that has an input and output
transformer. It are most likely these transformers that determine the lower
frequency limit.
I believe to have read an article in CQ-DL about the first 136kHz
transmissions between DA0LF and DA0VLF in Friedrichshafen (1997 ?). One of
the stations used a 100W HF push-pull PA to get 20W on 136kHz and they
needed a fan, not to cool the transistor but to cool the output
transformer. So even if you get your HF rig running on 136kHz I suggest to
limit the output to a few Watt in order to avoid a 'meltdown' of the output
transformer.

73, Rik  ON7YD