Re: LF: <TECH>Transatlantic modes - what next?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: <TECH>Transatlantic modes - what next?
From: "Dexter McIntyre W4DEX" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:39:55 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>

James Moritz wrote:

The QRSS modes easily meet 2 and 3; in order to meet 1, a dot
length of about 7 seconds maximum would be required. With the
best possible conditions, I guess several stations might manage
transatlantic QSOs with these dot lengths. However, it would
probably not be enough to reach the more inland parts of Canada,
or the USA and further afield.

Jim,

Several times your signal was strong enough here in North Carolina that
I could have copied 7 second dots, maybe less.  When I copied Laurie's
complete call his signal was also strong enough for much shorter
elements.  Most of the nights that I could copy G3AQC, CT1DRP and your
signal the best propagation lasted about one hour.  For QRSS I think 10
to 20 second element DFCW would work well.

Dexter