LF: Re: Key clicks

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Key clicks
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:52:21 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC
Actually, key clicks are never likely to be a huge issue on LF; when
compared to HF standards, even a full 1W ERP is a sub-QRP
signal, and the higher noise level will tend to swamp clicks from all
but the most local stations anyway.

I am not sure this generalisation is really true.  I receive quite a few
stations who are up to s9 + 20dB and they are hardly 'most local'.  Local
noise level varies considerably between stations, and with many of us the
limiting factor is loran - I was in the shack a week ago when Lessay went
off air for around 10 seconds - I saw first hand what my noise level was
without it, and how strong it really was.  Although I am not aware of any
stations with key clicks, I am pretty sure I would be able to copy the
clicks if they were there on the stronger stations I hear, even with loran.

By the way, I just happened to spot this remark in the 'sea' of wolf
messages yesterday.  Most of course get deleted before I read them..

Cheers Dave G3YMC
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.btinternet.com/~dsergeant