Re: LF: <Tech> BPSK and bandwidth

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: <Tech> BPSK and bandwidth
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:51:59 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim posed some possible flaws in alternative ways of generating BPSK in terms of bandwidth.

I think we must work out what is an acceptable bandwidth for LF transcontinental working (or indeed any other distance or path).

We must not be trapped into thinking that bandwidths close to those used for QRSS are essential. They may be convenient - even efficient - but if there is room on the band for people to use CW for intra-Europe working, why be forced into anything less for inter-continental? This means 30dB bandwidths in the region of 100Hz and 60dB bandwidths of, say 500Hz. In practice, there are very few people close enough to each other for a signal 60dB down to be audible at all.

Plainly there must be enough space to accommodate a group of people trying to work across the Atlantic, but this is a bandplanning issue not a technical one.

In short, if it is acceptable for me to use CW to work VE, it should be acceptable for BPSK to have the same practical bandwidth.

I bet that will start a battle!!!

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net