LF: <Tech> BPSK Modulation Variants

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: <Tech> BPSK Modulation Variants
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:07:48 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group,

ON7YD's comment that BPSK "gives away" 3dB is only true for the limiting case of phase-keying data input consisting of alternating 1s and 0s, and therefore a phase transition for every bit. For real data, I reckon there is on average around 1 transition for every 2 bits, so the "loss" in mean TX power is more like 1.3dB. I suppose the real question is if this "missing" power were present, would it do anything useful at the RX end? This would depend on the type of modulation and demodulation used.

As far as continuously varying phase modulation goes, my undergraduate text book makes the point that phase modulation is essentially equivalent to frequency modulation. Saying that the phase of a signal is varying relative to some reference phase is the same thing as saying the instantaneous frequency is different from the carrier frequency, since instantaneous frequency is the time derrivative of phase. What Rik is proposing is a kind of FSK - varying the phase linearly with time is the same as shifting the frequency. In the limiting case, with a 101010... bit sequence at 10bits per second being a 5Hz square wave, for the phase to change by +/-180degrees (pi radians) within a 1/10 second period, the frequency shift would need to be at least +/-10pi radians/sec, or +/-5Hz. I have not tried to analyse this in the frequency domain, but it must have a spectrum with sidebands at 5Hz intervals with a sinx/x component, not unlike that of the original un-shaped BPSK, but probably smaller.

With Andy's proposed scheme, in the 101010.. limiting case, and with the raised-cosine phase modulating slope, this would be equivalent to phase modulating with a 5Hz sine wave to a deviation of +/-pi/2 radians, mf = pi/2. Inspecting the functions of FM and PM modulated waves, this would be equivalent to FM with a modulating frequency of 5Hz (and without the DC offset), and deviation of 7.8Hz. Looking at the Bessel function tables for mf = 1.5, this means the sidebands at +/- 5Hz would be up 0.7dB on the carrier, those at +/- 10Hz -6.9, at +/- 15Hz -18.5dB and so on.

For the 10101010... limiting case, and ideal sine - envelope shaping, the BPSK signal is equivalent to a double sideband, supressed carrier signal modulated with a 5Hz sine wave, with two sidebands at +/- 5Hz only (see the article on PSK31 in the LF handbook). I checked this when I was building my modulator, and it was pretty close to what I actually got. I realise that these are rather crude analyses of the 3 types of modulation, and because the modulation is not in reality a uniform 101010.. string of data, other spectrum components will also be present, and the spectrum will be continuous rather than discrete sidebands. Also , the relative phase of the spectrum components is not considered. However, the other 2 methods seem to be a) different from the "ideal" BPSK, and b)apparently have more sidebands. Perhaps someone could provide a more accurate analysis, that would show whether either of these methods would be as effective for communications, would produce a satisfactory spectrum, or would require a different approach to demodulation.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU