LF: RE: Organization: NL9222

To: "Ko Versteeg" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Organization: NL9222
From: "John W Gould" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:20:54 -0000
Cc: "Andre' Kesteloot" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
Ko, my aplogies for not replying earlier to your enquiry that Andre' had
separately brought to my attention.

I have just looked at the rules that RSGB, DARC and AMRAD agreed. The key
paragraphs are:

1. An Award will be issued to recognise the first European amateur or SWL to
receive either a USA or a Canadian amateur station operating at 136 kHz once
the band is allocated to the Amateur Radio Service in either country.

2. An Award will also be issued for the first USA station and another Award
for the first Canadian station to receive a European amateur 136 kHz
station.

We purposely spelt out in para 1 that it was open to SWLs, and intended that
in the second paragraph the station could either be licenced to transmit or
be a SWL station.

The only question that needs answering is whether you received the VA
station prior to anyone else in EU.  I didn't think that the intent of the
award was to issue an award to the first licenced amateur and another award
to the first SWL.

There has been some experimentation and operating done by amateurs whether
or not they are licenced.  In my mind there is no distinction as there is
plenty to be done whether or not one is able to transmit.

I would be happy to discuss your claim via direct e-mail, rather than via
the list-server.  We will need the date and time that your received the
station.  We can then check whether this was indeed the first occurrence in
EU.

Apologies and 73
John
G3WKL