LF: Is this the Amrad Beacon??

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Is this the Amrad Beacon??
From: "john sexton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:14:07 -0800 (PST)
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All,
I used Argo last night to monitor the Amrad Beacon frequency at 136.750 kHz
and found a signal precisely on frequency to within 0.01 Hz. I used the
highest resolution of 120 sec dots, which means that one cannot see the QRSS
coding, which is probably 3 sec dots, but the signal could probably not be
seen at all if I had set Argo to that dot length. I used the Loran lines to
calibrate Argo.

To see the best image click on www.g4cnn.f2s.com/amradbeacon.jpg. The signal
is about 0.01 Hz low in this picture, but when I recalibrated Argo this
morning, I found the nearest Loran line at 136751.5669 also appeared 0.01 Hz
low, so this is just a calibration error (still learning).

The signal was visible from about 22.00 last night (010205) until 06.00 this
morning when it died out.
I saw no clear "Dawn effect" on the QRN in these images, but the QRN is low
throughout, which might be a result of using this resolution, or perhaps the
different frequency.

In order to measure to 0.01 Hz accurately, I had to import the images into
Paint Shop Pro and use the vernier to measure the difference in position of
two consecutive 1 Hz marks and the line. The lack of finer vertical scaling
in Argo is the one minor deficiency in this otherwise excellent package.
Thanks Alberto.

73, John, G4CNN

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/