LF: Fluorescent light QRM

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Fluorescent light QRM
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:27:48 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All, as result of Dick's, comments I went round my 3 lights. One is a
2foot (60cms) 20W , one is a 4 foot (120cms) and one 75 watt circular tube.
The 'detector was an AOR 2700 scanner tuned to 137kHz AM, using a 50cms
whip. I do not hear any noise from these units on my receiver. The lights
are about 10 to 12m from the vertical portion of my wire aerial and 8 to 10m
from my loop. I could only detect noise on the 2700 when it was within about
1.5m of the illuminated tube. I do not have any 'dimmers' in the house.

The least was radiated by the circular tube. I have heard noise on 136kHz
when a tube was failing and showed a significant 'shadow' at one end of the
tube. I have also had trouble when a 'starter' was firing continually even
whilst the tube was lit. The straight tubes are mounted on a metallic
grounded box, the circular tube is hung from a small grounded metallic
triangular plate. Even close up this noise ceased when the light was
extinguished. Our switching should be in the 'live' side in the UK, I wonder
if Dick has a tube switched in the neutral line.

I did test an Osram Dulux EL that Christer mentioned, some while back and
did not find any problems.....I will look at one of these again!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]