Re: LF: RE: ANTS: Higher L - higher ERP

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: ANTS: Higher L - higher ERP
From: "Brian Rogerson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:34:02 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Rik,

I have been following the folklore around antennas since I joined the
reflector and have many printed out and and in a folder.  I am currently
trying to make sense of my own situation.
My antenna is a conventional Marconi T, very similar to the ones I see
at the Portuguese Naval Radio station which I pass quite frequently.
With 23m overall height, the top is an 80m folded dipole and the vertical
is a 300ohm quad transmission line, all constructed in 2.5mm aluminium
wire.  I think you wrote a little note on alumium wire.  Unfortunately I
have many trees and the vertical was shaddowed closely up to about 20m
with separation of only 2m in places.  For 136 all four wires of the feeder
are shorted together and the system is resonated by by a coil with spaced
turns also in aluminium wire.

Under these conditions I measured the feed point resistance in the region
of 140 to 150 ohms using a  noise bridge and managed about 0.8-0.9A aerial
current using the appropriate tapping on the matching transformer.  The
output of the tx was 200V peak to peak or about 100W.  Ignoring cable
losses R=100/(0.85)^2=138ohms and there is rough confirmation between
the measurements.  I have had the trees reduced in height.  The new
measurement for feedpoint resistance is around 70ohms with a very
wide flat minima on the noise bridge. The tx is now one module of the Decca with 54v ht and 8A or 432W input when transmitting. I measured
400W into a 50ohm dummy load so efficiency is 92.6%!  The best match
on the matching transformer is between 40 and 50ohms.  Aerial current
is now 3A so R=400/(3)^2=44ohm and there is a big difference between
noise bridge and power measurement.  I cannot think why.  Of course
when I was carrying out the last measurements everything was soaking as
it had been raining for months and maybe this is the answer.  I shall have
to repeat the measurements when everything has thoroughly dried out.

This may give you another set of data for European soil and of course
any comments would be gratefully received.

73, Brian