LF: Antennas/ERP

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Antennas/ERP
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:32:09 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

First, the measurements on G3XDV's antenna - The SNR in a 25Hz measuring bandwidth and 9.3km distance was probably about 50dB, so noise was not really an issue. I checked the calibration by an independent method after each measurement. So I am confident that there was a slight increase in FS, and that it was near 0.9dB

A decrease in current from 2.7 to 2.2A would result in FS decreasing by 1.8dB if the antenna remained the same. So overall, there was an improvement of 2.7dB from the radiating point of view, although offset by increased losses, apparently. If ways could be found of reducing these added losses in a practical way, this would be a significant improvement in LF antenna technique.

What ZL2CA says about increasing TX power to make up for reduced antenna efficiency is only true up to a point, as some of us have found already. There comes a point where the voltage on an antenna becomes so high that breakdown occurs. Since for a given antenna, the voltage is directly proportional to the current, this places an upper limit on the ERP for a given antenna.

Once this limit is reached, there are two ways to go - one is to increase the effective height of the antenna, and so obtain more radiation for a similar current/voltage, the other is to reduce the voltage by adding more top loading, basically increasing it's area (or footprint, as G3AQC would say). Doing either of these things also tends to reduce the losses, reducing the power required in the first place.

So the size of the antenna restricts both the power that can be put into it, and the efficiency of radiation from it, so placing a definite upper limit on ERP. Most of us are not lucky enough to be able to change the height or area occupied by our antennas at will, so maximising the ERP of our stations depends on finding the best compromise between antenna configuration, and transmitter power with the volume of space we have available. Since our circumstances are all different, the best compromise is likely to be different too.

By the way, I find that the loss resistance of the antennas I have used tends to increase by a factor of 2 or 3 when frequency is reduced from 136k to 73k - in indirect support of Rik's idea about ground loss being reduced at increased frequency.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU