Re: LF: Large and small antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Large and small antennas
From: "John Rabson" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:22:01 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Dennison <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 5:27 PM

Well, here we get into the very muddy waters of just how you
measure ERP - seemingly a very imprecise science. Also the far
more interesting area of matching the antenna to the propagation
medium (sometimes referred to as ionospheric matching). An
example of this is the idea that a "useless" horizontal antenna - or
the horizontal part of an L - can in some cases give an improvement
on the pure vertical because of the way the signal is presented to
the ionosphere. And this is another area where the unreliability of
the technique makes it a taboo area for the commercials but a
potential source of gold for us.

If I can run out a quarterwave at 136 kHz will this be any use e.g. for NVIS
paths?

73 de
John Rabson G3PAI