LF: Loading coils / Measuring receivers

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Loading coils / Measuring receivers
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:00:55 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group,

OK on the loading coils - my current loading coil is over 500mm diameter, so ready-made containers to fit it are hard to come by. I'm suprised that people have had success with coils exposed to the rain, I found with mine that this drastically reduced the Q once water got in between the turns. The 20kV or so across the winding is a bit of a worry in the wet, too. Do hardware shops in Germany really sell litz wire, Geri?

Interesting to see details of G4JNT's portable measuring receiver project; on and off I have been working on something similar myself. A significant difficulty with measuring signal levels on LF is how to get a sensible reading with on/off keyed signals and significant levels of QRN. A strong carrier or QRSS signal is easily measured with any old AC voltmeter on the audio or IF output - but it is not always possible to arrange such a signal. However, with manual CW (and presumably modes like BPSK), the varying signal level makes it difficult to get a steady reading. I have tried using a "quasi peak" type voltmeter (ie. a peak detector with a few ms attack and much slower decay, similar to many RX s-meter responses). This works well with CW, but any sort of meter seems to have problems with QRN; since the peak QRN level is often much higher than even quite strong signals, you get a few dB variation even with long meter time constants.

Perhaps the most satisfactory method is to use an oscilloscope to display the signal, since then you can see and identify the modulation envelope and QRN spikes, but this is less than convenient for portable use!

Another measurement that is important to make is the noise level, but this is also highly dependent on the type of meter response.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU