Re: LF: Caged Coils

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Caged Coils
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:45:40 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

Rik, ON7YD wrote:

The radiation resistance of a multiturn loop is :

Rs = 31200 x (n x F / L^2)^2
where Rs = radiation resistance, n = number of turns, F = loop area, L =
wavelength.

For my loadingcoil n = 120 and F = 0.04m^2, so at a wavelength of 2200m
the
radiation resistance will be about 30 nano-Ohm. Estimated radiation
resistance of my inverted-L antenna is about 40 milli-Ohm.

Shielding the coil (done properly - avoiding short circuit turns) would
make my signal 0.000003dB weaker.

I am not shure whether this calculation is applicable to a loading coil. The
coil in a mobile antenna for the HF bands is considered to radiate as a
linear conductor with a length equal to the length of the coil. I think this
could also be the case for a loading coil at LF. So if the coil is 1 metre
long (high) with its axis vertical it acts as a 1 m long vertical antenna
and when at the bottom of a vertical antenna it makes the radiator 1 m
longer.

73, Dick, PA0SE