Re: LF: Caged Coils

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Caged Coils
From: "MAL HAMILTON" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:53:06 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave <[email protected]>
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Date: 18 January 2001 18:30

Mal, Rick etc.

I am an amateur amateur, I experiment!

I cage the coil, the ant current goes up by ten percent, therefore it's
better ( several exclamation marks would go here but I only have one
left...)
The reason it's better and not worse (by 0.000003dB) is, I surmise, that
the
coil is no longer dissipating power into nearby lossy items. Hedge, fence,
grass etc.
Seems blindingly obvious to me really (more exclamation marks).
I can't put the coil in the middle of the lawn because my wife would get
fried when she hung out the washing (sorry about the gender-stereotyping
there.)
I reckon one could usefully cage the bottom few feet of one's vertical feed
wire if it was surrounded by bushes.......  Don't say "cage the whole
thing"
please! (Oh, there goes the last one..)
I will say it !!!!!!!!!!!!! CAGE THE WHOLE ANTENNA. You may as well and get
a few more amps. By accident you have invented the LF microwave oven with
wire attached.
Some one did mention recently that since you caged your coil you signal was
weaker.
Your xyl should not be in the garden and if she does stray put the coil up
above her head and cage the bottom thin wire with plastic fencing.
Read Rogers (boffin) message about positioning the coil upright at the base
of the vertical for maximum efficiency and putting a metal plate underneath
the coil. I must try that plate suggestion myself.
Mal/G3KEV

Dave 'YXM

Shielding the coil (done properly - avoiding short circuit turns) would
make my signal 0.000003dB weaker.

73, Rik ON7YD