Re: LF: Re:VA3LK Log / More Tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re:VA3LK Log / More Tests
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:21:15 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Alberto wrote:

Just a remark. If you want to dig deep into the noise, you must use
resolutions of 5 or 10 milli Hertz. At these resolutions the span covered
by a spectrogram is at maximum a couple of Hertz, so the 10 or 20 Hz
spread would mean that the biggest part of the stations will be outside
the screen.

73   Alberto   I2PHD

Of course, it's a question of degree - if 40milliHz does not produce a signal, you could always try a narrower resolution. It does not really matter if the dots merge together if the purpose is only to identify a signal is present.To facilitate this, the signal I intend to use will have about 5 90s dashes and spaces, followed by a "missing" dash. Hopefully, this will make it a bit more distinctive, and if viewed at higher resolution, the dashes will merge to produce one long dash and a shorter space. I think this should be easy to set up using ON7YD's QRS keyer software in beacon mode, which will also do normal CW ID's

How narrow a frequency range we can use depends on how accurately the TX frequency can be set - my synthesiser does 0.1Hz steps, and if everybody had the same, quite a few people could fit into 2Hz bandwidth. But whether this can be done depends on the equipment at the individual stations involved.

Since Larry's signal is visible with quite good SNR at times in 42mHz resolution, and VE1ZJ has seen several signals with 0.3Hz resolution, I think 42mHz resolution might do the job. If it does not, it will certainly take a major re-think to achieve a QSO!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU